The first Mass at St. George was said in 1938 in the home of Ellis Mansour with forty-eight Catholics in attendance. By 1947 the living room of the Mansour home could no longer hold the growing congregation and Mass was celebrated in the dining rooms of the Swinton and Virginia Hotel. In February 1950 the parish was assigned to the Redemptorist Fathers. Although still a mission, it now had its own priest, Rev. Edward Coyne, C.S.S.R.
In August 1951 a church was dedicated, on Jackson Street. Due to the enormous growth of the parish, 10 acres of land was purchased in 1967 on Roscoe Road. The Mansour family donated an additional 25 acres. In April 1969, Father Luke Doheny said the first Mass in the present church. By March 1974, St. George rose from the status of mission to parish, and the hall and classrooms were added.
After many years of service the Redemptorist Fathers returned the parish to Archdiocesan oversight. In June 1992, Father Leo Herbert became the first diocesan pastor. In July 1995, with over 680 families registered in the parish, plans were made to expand our facilities to meet the demands of present and future growth. In September 1998, construction was completed and we dedicated Henderson Hall which houses classrooms, meeting rooms, parish offices, and a 24-hour chapel.
In 1993 Deacon John Myers was assigned to St. George as our first Deacon. Three years later in 1996 Deacon Ben Gross was also assigned to the parish.
In the spring of 1999 in recognition of the growing Hispanic population in Newnan and the surrounding area a Spanish language Mass was added and regularly celebrated by Fr. Joseph Fahey. In 2001 the Archbishop assigned Fr. Jorge Christancho to the parish as our first Parochial Vicar.
In June of 2002, Fr. Austin Fogarty was named pastor of St. George. During his 10-year tenure as pastor numerous changes were made at St. George including the remodeling of the church and the institution of weekly devotions. In 2003 Fr. Francisco Javier Munoz was assigned as Parochial Vicar and he served in that capacity until 2009 when Fr. Jesus David Trujillo was named Parochial Vicar.
In 2012 the Archbishop assigned our current Pastor Fr. Henry Atem to St. George. Fr. Henry is assisted by the three deacons currently assigned to St. George: Deacon Steve Beers, Deacon Jim Bishop and Deacon Steve Swope.
St. George has been and remains a vibrant and growing faith community. At the present time, we have over 1,000 families registered in the parish from many different backgrounds, cultures and places.
Paul, called to be an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother, to the church of God that
is in Corinth, to you who have been sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be holy, with all those everywhere who call
upon the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, their Lord and ours.
— 1 Corinthians 1:1–3
|© Copyright 2013. Saint George Catholic Church, Newnan, Georgia|